- 1 Which career field would a social worker fall under?
- 2 What are some mental and social service careers?
- 3 What type of field is social work?
- 4 What type of social worker makes the most money?
- 5 What careers are similar to social work?
- 6 Why do social workers study mental health?
- 7 Is there a test I can take to see what career is best for me?
- 8 How many types of social services are there?
- 9 What are the six areas of social work?
- 10 What are the 7 principles of social work?
- 11 What are the three levels of social work?
- 12 Can a social worker make 6 figures?
- 13 What state pays the highest for social workers?
- 14 Which country is best for social workers?
MSW graduates typically work in specialty fields, such as child and family services, geriatrics, mental health and substance abuse, or education. While most social workers who specialize in specific fields hold an advanced degree, graduates with a bachelor’s degree can also work in niche areas.
Types of Social Service Careers
- Social and Human Service Assistant.
- Mental Health Counselor.
- Probation Officer or Correctional Treatment Specialist.
- Health Education Specialist or Community Health Worker.
- Social and Community Service Manager.
- Addiction/Substance Abuse Counselor.
- Marriage and Family Therapist.
Social workers are found in every facet of community life, including schools, hospitals, mental health clinics, senior centers, elected office, private practices, prisons, military, corporations, and in numerous public and private agencies.
The ambulatory healthcare services field pays the highest social worker salary at $83,050. Social workers also earn some of the highest wages at federal agencies, brokerages and insurance companies, surgical hospitals, and insurance carriers.
Careers Related to Social Workers[About this section] [To Top]
- Health Educators and Community Health Workers.
- Marriage and Family Therapists.
- Probation Officers and Correctional Treatment Specialists.
- Rehabilitation Counselors.
- School and Career Counselors.
- Social and Community Service Managers.
For some people, mental illnesses can make day to day life difficult. Mental health social workers play a critical role in improving overall wellbeing and mental health in our society. They spend their time assessing, diagnosing, treating and preventing mental, behavioral and emotional issues.
Is there a test I can take to see what career is best for me?
The Career Personality Profiler is a comprehensive, scientifically validated career test that measures both your interests and your personality traits so you can find the right career for you. The real-world careers, industries, and college majors that are a great match for you.
The main groups which social services is catered towards are: families, children, youths, elders, women, the sick and the disabled. Social services consists of facilities and services such as: public education, food banks, universal health care, police, fire services, public transportation and public housing.
Six core values of the social work profession
- Social justice.
- Dignity and worth of the person.
- Importance of human relationships.
These are the Seven principles of social worker:
- Principles of Acceptance.
- Principle of Individualization.
- Principle of Communications.
- Principle of Confidentiality.
- Principle of Self Determination.
- Principle of Non-judgmental Attitude.
- Principle of Controlled Emotional Involvement. Delete Answer. ×
Social workers perform their roles and responsibilities within three interrelated levels of practice: micro, mezzo, and macro. These systems of practice use different methodologies to provide services to diverse populations, but they all operate within the Person-in-Environment (PIE) Theory.
Social workers have the potential to make nearly six figures in some segments of the career field. But they also have the potential for building up six figures of student loan debt. Here’s a closer look at current social worker salaries, including breakdowns based on location and education level.
Best-Paying States for Clinical Social Workers The states and districts that pay Clinical Social Workers the highest mean salary are California ($79,620), District of Columbia ($74,160), Oregon ($74,050), Connecticut ($72,980), and Nevada ($72,640).
If you want to show up for others and pursue a Master’s degree in Social Work, one of the best places to do it is the United Kingdom. Universities and colleges in the UK have some of the most well-developed Social Work degree studies and social workers are in high demand on the British job market.