- 1 How does history affect mental health?
- 2 How does Counselling impact on mental health?
- 3 Why is mental health history important?
- 4 How does counseling affect you as a person?
- 5 How does the brain change when someone has depression?
- 6 Can a mental illness be cured?
- 7 Does Counselling help anxiety?
- 8 What is a positive mental health?
- 9 What are the features of positive mental health?
- 10 What are the 4 types of mental health?
- 11 How do you maintain mental health?
- 12 How can we prevent mental health?
- 13 Who needs counseling?
- 14 What are the goals of counseling?
- 15 What are the attributes of a good Counsellor?
How does history affect mental health?
When it comes to mental health/brain health, your family history matters. Scientific research has shown that having family members with depression, anxiety, ADD/ADHD, bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, schizophrenia, addictions, or dementia, increases your risk.
How does Counselling impact on mental health?
Allows individuals to express and give voice to internal concerns, worries, and self-talk, without worry that they will walk out or leave them as a result. Taking part in counselling allows you to share your feelings, with someone properly trained and equipped to deal with it, and help you.
Why is mental health history important?
How we think, or feel, or behave grows out of our past. In order to understand a new patient, therefore, a psychiatric or psychological history must be taken. To understand that person in the present we must struggle to understand him/her in terms of the past.
How does counseling affect you as a person?
Counseling offers people the opportunity to identify the factors that contribute to their difficulties and to deal effectively with the psychological, behavioral, interpersonal and situational causes of those difficulties.
How does the brain change when someone has depression?
There’s growing evidence that several parts of the brain shrink in people with depression. Specifically, these areas lose gray matter volume (GMV). That’s tissue with a lot of brain cells. GMV loss seems to be higher in people who have regular or ongoing depression with serious symptoms.
Can a mental illness be cured?
Treatment can involve both medications and psychotherapy, depending on the disease and its severity. At this time, most mental illnesses cannot be cured, but they can usually be treated effectively to minimize the symptoms and allow the individual to function in work, school, or social environments.
Does Counselling help anxiety?
It can affect your mental health when you feel anxious every day and can’t remember when you last felt relaxed. Counselling can help you explore the cause of these feelings, understand them and suggest ways of dealings with situations. A counsellor can help you learn how to cope with anxiety.
What is a positive mental health?
Positive mental health refers to the presence of positive emotions and good functioning (in both individual and social environments). Work being done by Corey Keyes at Emory has shown that individuals with high positive mental health are less likely to develop depression and chronic disease.
What are the features of positive mental health?
What is good mental health?
- the ability to learn.
- the ability to feel, express and manage a range of positive and negative emotions.
- the ability to form and maintain good relationships with others.
- the ability to cope with and manage change and uncertainty.
What are the 4 types of mental health?
Types of mental illness
- mood disorders (such as depression or bipolar disorder)
- anxiety disorders.
- personality disorders.
- psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia)
- eating disorders.
- trauma-related disorders (such as post-traumatic stress disorder)
- substance abuse disorders.
How do you maintain mental health?
Maintaining mental health and wellbeing
- spend time with friends, loved ones and people you trust.
- talk about or express your feelings regularly.
- reduce alcohol consumption.
- avoid illicit drug use.
- keep active and eat well.
- develop new skills and challenge your capabilities.
- relax and enjoy your hobbies.
- set realistic goals.
How can we prevent mental health?
Prevent Mental Illness & Improve Mental Health
- Tell someone how you are feeling about your mental health and ask for help.
- Stay active to boost your well-being.
- Eat well to feed the brain.
- Drink sensibly to reduce mood swings.
- Keep in contact with friends.
- Learn a new skill.
- Do something you love to reduce stress.
Who needs counseling?
4 Reasons People Visit Counselors
- Difficult Life Events. Some people seek counseling because they have experienced a stressful or traumatic life event, and speaking with a counselor helps them process the situation.
- Mental Health Issues.
- Life Transitions or Decisions.
- Self Discovery.
What are the goals of counseling?
However there are five commonly named goals of counseling.
- FACILITATING BEHAVIOR CHANGE.
- IMPROVING RELATIONSHIP.
- FACILITATE CLIENT’S POTENTIAL.
- PROMOTING DECISION MAKING.
- ENHANCE POTENTIAL AND ENRICH SELF.
- DEVELOPMENTAL GOALS.
- PREVENTIVE GOALS.
- ENHANCEMENT GOALS.
What are the attributes of a good Counsellor?
Ten Important Attributes of a Counsellor
- Empathy. Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others.
- Discretion. Confidentiality is of upmost importance when you are a Counsellor.
- Self Awareness.
- Open Mindedness.