- 1 How do smartphones affect adolescent mental health?
- 2 How mobile phones affect the brain?
- 3 How can social media affect mental health?
- 4 Are smartphones really destroying the adolescent brain?
- 5 How do phones affect sleep?
- 6 Do phones make you dumber?
- 7 Does mobile affect memory?
- 8 Why social media is bad for your mental health?
- 9 How do you not let social media affect your mental health?
- 10 How social media affects mental health pros and cons?
- 11 How do smartphones cause depression?
- 12 Is social media destroying a generation?
- 13 Do Electronics make you depressed?
How do smartphones affect adolescent mental health?
Evidence from a variety of cross-sectional, longitudinal and empirical studies implicate smartphone and social media use in the increase in mental distress, self-injurious behaviour and suicidality among youth; there is a dose–response relationship, and the effects appear to be greatest among girls.
How mobile phones affect the brain?
A study by the National Institutes of Health in the US suggests that mobile phones could have an effect on the brain. They reported higher sugar use in the brain, a sign of increased activity, after 50 minutes on the phone. One phone was off, the another was on but muted so the person could not tell the difference.
However, multiple studies have found a strong link between heavy social media and an increased risk for depression, anxiety, loneliness, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts. Social media may promote negative experiences such as: Inadequacy about your life or appearance.
Are smartphones really destroying the adolescent brain?
Smartphones are destroying their brains. Raised in the glow of digital devices, today’s teens are depressed, anxious, antisocial and hopelessly distracted. She wove in some stats indicating poorer mental health among teens and pinned the gloomy picture on smartphones.
How do phones affect sleep?
The blue light emitted by your cell phone screen restrains the production of melatonin, the hormone that controls your sleep-wake cycle (aka circadian rhythm). This makes it even more difficult to fall asleep and wake up the next day.
Do phones make you dumber?
But the study did show that smartphones create a negative impact on the willingness of humans to concentrate. Even if this is true, there is still a big difference between lower concentration levels and saying that smartphones are making us dumber. So relax. Smartphones aren’t making you dumber.
Does mobile affect memory?
Increasing exposure to mobile devices negatively affects the figural memory of adolescents, revealed a recent study by the researchers at Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH). Figural memory, which helps us make sense of images, patterns and shapes, is located in the right hemisphere of the brain.
When people look online and see they’re excluded from an activity, it can affect thoughts and feelings, and can affect them physically. A 2018 British study tied social media use to decreased, disrupted, and delayed sleep, which is associated with depression, memory loss, and poor academic performance.
There are a few steps that you can take to help distance you from the negative impact of social media.
- Spend Less Time Online. This is easier said than done when picking up your phone is second nature.
- Use Social Media Intentionally.
- Connect More With Friends Offline.
- Practice Mindfulness.
- Encourage Communication.
Impacts of Social Media on Mental Health
- Pro – Increases communication and raising awareness.
- Con – Promotion of fake news.
- Pro – Can help combat feelings of loneliness and isolation.
- Con – Can also increase feelings of loneliness.
- Pro – Normalises help seeking behaviour.
- Con – Can promote anti-social behaviour.
How do smartphones cause depression?
A 2017 study from the Journal of Child Development found that smartphones can cause sleep problems in teens, which led to depression, anxiety and acting out. Phones cause sleep problems because of the blue light they create. This blue light can suppress melatonin, a hormone that helps control your natural sleep cycle.
Social Media Has Not Destroyed a Generation – Scientific American.
Do Electronics make you depressed?
Electronic screens also can disrupt sleep. And a lack of good sleep can result in a depressed mood, moodiness and irritability. “If they are spending a lot of time on their cellphones or screens, it can affect the hormones in their brain via the blue light that comes off of these screens.”